Antique jewelry object group: pendant on chain
Condition: very good condition
- (more info on our condition scale)
Country of origin: France
Style: Late-Victorian - Victorian decorative arts refers to the style of decorative arts during the Victorian era. The Victorian era is known for its eclectic revival and interpretation of historic styles and the introduction of cross-cultural influences from the middle east and Asia in furniture, fittings, and Interior decoration.
Victorian design is widely viewed as having indulged in a regrettable excess of ornament. The Arts and Crafts movement, the aesthetic movement, Anglo-Japanese style, and Art Nouveau style have their beginnings in the late Victorian era.
- See also: late-Victorian or more info on styles
Style specifics: The Late or Aesthetic Victorian Period - Experts divide the reign of Queen Victoria, also called The Victorian era (1837-1901) into three periods of about twenty years each; The Romantic Victorian Period (1837 - 1860), The Grand Victorian Period (1860 - 1880), and the Late or Aesthetic Victorian Period (1880 - 1901).
We consider this to be of The Late or Aesthetic Victorian Period.
Jewelry of this period is changing back from heavy to more smaller, romantic pieces with often whimsical motifs. Jewelers using diamonds and bright gemstones in elaborated and fine feminine pieces.
Period: ca. 1890
- (events & facts of this era, poetry of this era, fashion of this era)
Material: 18K yellow gold (touchstone tested)
- (more info on precious metals)
Extra information: Although the pendant is from around 1890, the necklace is definitely of a later date
Diamond(s): Two old mine brilliant cut diamonds with an estimated weight of ± 0.14ct. (colour and clarity: G/I, si/i).
One rose cut diamond. We do not have the weight of this diamond which is normal in our trade when it comes to rose cuts.
- All diamond weights, color grades and clarity are approximate since stones are not removed from their mounts to preserve the integrity of the setting. Also we have all diamonds screened by the IJGC - lab (www.ijgc-worldwide.com) for whether they are natural or synthetic, and all diamonds in this jewel are 100% guaranteed to be natural!
Precious stones: Two sapphires with an estimated weight of ± 1.00ct.
Seven most probably natural pearls and
20 cultured pearls
- All color stone weights are approximate since stones are not removed from their mounts to preserve the integrity of the setting.
Birthstones: Diamond is the birthstone (or month stone) for April, sapphire for September and pearl for June.
- (more info on birthstones)
Hallmarks: The French control mark for 18K gold representing an eagle's head that was in use in France from about 1838.
- (more info on hallmarks)
Dimensions: width pendant 4,41 cm (1,74 inch), length necklace 52,00 cm (20,47 inch) - See picture with a ruler in cm and inches
Weight: 17,20 gram (11,06 dwt)
Reference Nº: 19259-0041
Copyright photography: Adin, fine antique jewelry
Jewelry with birthstones (or month stones) for:
January - February - March - April - May - June - July
August - September - October - November or December.
jewelry glossary - wall of fame - visit us in Antwerp - subscribe to our mailinglist.
What is antique jewelry? - What is estate jewelry? - What is vintage jewelry?