Antique jewelry object group: hair piece / brooch
Condition: very good condition
- (more info on our condition scale)
Country of origin: unknown
Style: Victorian - Victorian decorative arts refers to the style of decorative arts during the Victorian era. The Victorian era is known for its eclectic revival and interpretation of historic styles and the introduction of cross-cultural influences from the middle east and Asia in furniture, fittings, and Interior decoration. Victorian design is widely viewed as having indulged in a regrettable excess of ornament. The Arts and Crafts movement, the aesthetic movement, Anglo-Japanese style, and Art Nouveau style have their beginnings in the late Victorian era.
- See also: Victorian or more info on styles
Style specifics: The Late or Aesthetic Victorian Period - Experts divide the reign of Queen Victoria, also called The Victorian era (1837-1901) into three periods of about twenty years each; The Romantic Victorian Period (1837 - 1860), The Grand Victorian Period (1860 - 1880), and the Late or Aesthetic Victorian Period (1880 - 1901).
We consider this to be of The Late or Aesthetic Victorian Period.
Jewelry of this period is changing back from heavy to more smaller, romantic pieces with often whimsical motifs. Jewelers using diamonds and bright gemstones in elaborated and fine feminine pieces.
Period: ca. 1890
- (events & facts of this era, poetry of this era, fashion of this era)
Source of inspiration: Mother Nature
Material: 18K yellow gold (touchstone tested)
- (more info on precious metals)
Technique: By the use of a clever coil spring, the wings can be squeezed together so that a hook system opens at the back of the butterfly. When the tension on the wings is released, the hooks on the back come together again and engage in the hair or fabric on which they are placed.
Diamond(s): Six rose cut diamonds . We do not have the weight of the diamonds which is normal in our trade when it comes to rose cuts.
- All diamond weights, color grades and clarity are approximate since stones are not removed from their mounts to preserve the integrity of the setting. Also we have all diamonds screened by the IJGC - lab (www.ijgc-worldwide.com) for whether they are natural or synthetic, and all diamonds in this jewel are 100% guaranteed to be natural!
Precious stones: Four rubies with an estimated weight of ± 0.16ct.
- All color stone weights are approximate since stones are not removed from their mounts to preserve the integrity of the setting.
Birthstones: Diamond is the birthstone (or month stone) for April and ruby for July.
- (more info on birthstones)
Hallmarks: No trace.
- (more info on hallmarks)
Dimensions: width 3,63 cm (1,43 inch) - See picture with a ruler in cm and inches
Weight: 3,30 gram (2,12 dwt)
Adin Reference Nº: 20057-0081
Copyright photography: Adin, fine antique jewellery
jewelry with insects, yellow gold jewelry, jewelry with rose cut diamonds, jewelry with diamond, jewelry with ruby, latest acquisitions,
antique jewelry, estate jewelry, vintage jewelry or modern jewelry
Jewelry with birthstones (or month stones) for:
January - February - March - April - May - June - July
August - September - October - November or December.
jewelry glossary - wall of fame - visit us in Antwerp - subscribe to our mailinglist.
What is antique jewelry? - What is estate jewelry? - What is vintage jewelry?