Antieke juwelen glossarium
A leading French jewelry firm, founded in 1847 by Louis-Francois Cartier
(1819-1904). Its headquarters are in Paris, with branches in several major
centres. The founder was joined in 1872 by his son Alfred (1836-1925), and the
latter, with his eldest son, Louis (1875-1942), moved the Paris business in
1898 to its present address, 13 Rue de la Paix. In 1902 Alfred's second son,
Pierre (1878-1964), opened a branch in London and in 1903 in New York City. In
1909 the London branch was taken over by-the youngest brother Jacques
(1885-1942), by which time it had moved to its present address at 175 New Bond
St. A group headed by Robert Hocq (1917-79)acquired from the Cartier family the
branches in Paris (1972), London (1974), and New York (1976), Hocq was Managing
Director until his death when he was succeeded by his daughter, Nathalie (b.
1951),who since 1974 had headed the high-fashion jewelry department and
promoted the boutique collection of jewelry known as Les Musts'. Originally the
firm made jewelry of enameled gold set with gemstones, which attracted a
prestigious clientele, including French royalty and the future Edward VII;in
recent years it has greatly expanded into new types and styles of jewelry, and
is extending its world-wide operations.
for all our Cartier items.
Juwelen op thema
Antieke Juwelen Lezing