Nu gespreide betaling mogelijk op het juweel van uw dromen! Vraag ons naar de details. Gratis verzekerde verzending van alle orders!
A family of jewellers from Naples whose members are well known for their work done in London, especially jewelry simulating antique and Renaissance styles.
The best known is Carlo Giuliano (1831-95) who worked in Naples for Alessandro Castellani and was established by him in London as a branch of the Casa Castellani. He soon left Castellani and from 1867 worked for Robert Phillips, Harry Emanuel, Hunt & Roskell, and Hancocks, prominent London jewellers. In 1875 he set up his own workshop as goldsmith, doing creative work in adapting designs of Renaissance style and developing new techniques.
He is highly regarded for his work in Granulated gold and Encrusted enamel, and for making pendants in Greek and Etruscan style inspired by Castellani. He was assisted from 1874 by his Italian chief designer and technician, Pasquale Novissimo (d. 1914), who had worked for Castellani in Italy.
His workshop from 1861 to 1877 was at 11 Frith St, London, and in 1874 he set up a retail outlet at 115 Piccadilly. Competition was carried on from 1876 by his younger brother Frederico and the latter's son Ferdinando, working from 1883 until 1903 at premises in Howland St; no signed piece of their work is known but some examples have been identified by the cases.
The business of Carlo in Picadilly was inherited by his sons, Carlo and Arthur, who moved in 1912 to 48 Knightsbridge, continuing there until 1914, but selling there less accomplished pieces. Their mark was C & A G; that of Carlo Giuliano was C G.
From: An Illustrated Dictionary of Jewelry, autor: Harold Newman, publishers: Thames and Hudson